Street Law Fact Sheet 7 - Completing a work and development program (WDP)

  1. Call the RTA’s Infringement Plan Office on (02) 6207 8754 or see See the RTA website for more details
  2. Complete the ‘Application for a WDP’ form.
  3. Attach any supporting documents.
  4. Submit the form by post email, fax or in person.
  5. If you are approved, approach a WDP provider. If they agree,
    they will talk to the RTA.
  6. If your application is rejected, you can appeal that decision, or
    look at other options for dealing with the fine.

It is now possible to pay off your traffic or parking fine(s) by completing approved volunteer work, a course, mentoring or counselling/medical treatment. Each hour that you attend works off part of the fine. If your licence has been suspended for not paying the fine(s), that suspension will be lifted once you are approved to complete a WDP.

This option for dealing with a fine is not available to everyone. You must show:

  • current or ongoing serious financial hardship;
  • mental or intellectual disability or mental disorder;
  • physical disability or disease or illness;
  • addiction to alcohol or other drugs;
  • domestic violence; or
  • homelessness.
The rates at which fines will be reduced
Activity Cut out rate
Volunteer work $37.50 per hour worked
Educational, vocational or life skills course $50 per hour or $350 per full day, up to a maximum of $1,000 per month
Financial and other counseling
Participation (as a mentee) in a mentoring program $1,000 per month for full compliance (or a proportion for partial compliance)
Medical or mental health treatment in accordance with a doctor’s treatment plan
Alcohol or other drug treatment
Submitting your form
Fax 02 6207 0402
In person Level 1, Dickson Motor Vehicle Registry
13 – 15 Challis St, Dickson ACT 2602 or
any Canberra Connect shop front
Post Infringement Plan Office,
PO Box 582


Once you have been approved by the RTA you can then approach the organisation that you would like to complete your WDP with. A list of providers is on the RTA website here: At the ACT Government Rego Site


The material in this fact sheet is intended as a general guide only. Readers should not act on the basis of any material in this publication without first getting legal advice about their particular situations.

If you would like more information, please contact Street Law on 1800 787 529 or Street Law is a program of Canberra Community Law Ltd.

© Canberra Community Law Ltd. Not to be reproduced without permission or acknowledgement.
Last updated: 27 July 2015.